Are You A Dad With A Special Needs Child Whose Spouse Just Up And Left?

Divorce is often harder when there are children involved, and you can expect that the court will need to take extra precautions to make sure that your child with special needs receives proper care before they finalize your custody agreement. You also have the added complication of dealing with a spouse who may be hard to find or just simply uncooperative. Although it is hard to watch as your child's other parent decides to flee your family arrangement, you can use these tips to work with a divorce lawyer to help give your child a stable home environment.

Try to Locate the Absent Parent

In most cases, it is much easier to get a divorce when the other parent is available to participate in the proceedings. If your child's other parent has disappeared, then you may need to at least do what you can to have them served with the divorce papers. For instance, you can give your attorney information about where the other parent was working when they left. It may also be helpful to provide any addresses of their friends and family members as well. Working with a local divorce attorney who is familiar with the general places in your area makes this process easier.

Demonstrate How You Meet Your Child's Needs

You will also need to provide information about your child's current health status and need for assistance. If you have a diagnosis for your child, then let your lawyer know. You will also want to share information such as what types of therapy your child receives, along with any regular appointment dates and times. Since you are seeking custody, you will also want to show how your current living arrangement supports your child's needs. For instance, your home may be equipped with wheelchair ramps, handrails, and other accessibility devices that are required for your child's safety and comfort.

Put Together a Tentative Child Custody and Visitation Plan

Finally, your lawyer will want to know what you prefer to happen regarding child custody and visitation after your divorce. If there are special circumstances that would make the traditional custody arrangement unsafe, then talk to your lawyer about them. For example, you may request to have someone stay with your spouse while they visit with your child if they have been unable to meet their needs properly in the past. Alternatively, you may be willing to give your child's other parent more visitation time if they choose to be more involved in the future. Your lawyer can help you navigate through these sensitive decisions while putting together a case that demonstrates why you need certain things to happen with your custody plan.

To learn more, contact your local divorce attorneys.